March 6, 2007

They say the third time's the charm

Apparently I am not just her boss. I also fill the role of her granddaughter's school. Yep, she called again. I wasn't able to understand much of the message due to the woman's overly thick Southern accent, but I was able to gather that Kim--her name is Kim, not Jean...oops--wanted the school to allow her granddaughter to ride home on the bus today. It looks as if somebody is not getting home today!

I am beginning to wonder whether or not Kim has my phone number on speed-dial. Of course, that can't explain the fact that she has now left me messages intended for two different people, but it's a thought. I guess my number could be programmed under every possible speed-dial key. Then again, she does have a granddaughter. I guess it is safe to assume that she is a little more advanced in age. That, combined with the fact that she lives in North Carolina (she has a very distinctive accent), leads me to believe that Ms. Kim is of little mental capacity*.

Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to answer the phone one time when she calls (so far, she has only called very early in the morning or during classes), and be able to set her straight. For now, though, Kim provides me with a bit of entertainment every couple of days. In fact, I quite enjoy attempting to decipher her messages.

On a slightly unrelated note, aren't noses weird? I overheard someone exclaiming to another person how much she liked the other's nose, and though that somewhat odd. I've never found noses to be that attractive. In fact, they seem, like ears, to be after-the-fact additions to the human physique. Try staring at a nose for a small length of time, and I am confident that you will understand. That is all.

*I am not implying that the elderly are any less intelligent that young people. In that thought, I was putting more emphasis on the fact that she was from the back woods of the South--the delirious, half-mad, rather stupid mother in law of the United States, if you will.

No comments: