February 28, 2007

The world's worst television shows

Before I begin, I must admit that this post is really centered around tv shows here in the United States. I cannot say that I have seen too many shows from other countries, but I am very confident that my choices for the two worst tv shows in the world would rank high on everybody's list of things to avoid watching.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, allow me to announce the first of my two choices. The Wiggles is one of the most ridiculous shows on tv. If you don't know what it is, the show airs on Nick, Jr and is, of course, geared towards children. The show is centered around a "band" from Australia that is composed of four grown men named Sam, Murray, Jeff, and Anthony. These guys dress up in all sorts of outfits and sing songs in very high-pitched voices. They pretend to be on pirate ships, on golf courses, and in the pool, among other things, and always sing about how happy they are (or, in contrast, how the giant shark in the ocean is a big fat meanie). I am aware that television shows for children are meant to be on the silly side and that complex plots are not to be expected, but this show goes overboard. To watch these four, thirty(ish) year old men prance around in flamboyant costumes and sing as if they really mean what they say, is simply mind blowing. I really hope that they get paid a great deal of money, because the mere idea that they degrade themselves in that manner out of the pure goodness of their hearts makes me a little bit sick.

Second on my list is a show that I know all of you have seen at least once. Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, which now airs on SpikeTV, is one of the most annoying things I have come across in my entire life. Sure, the show is a tiny bit funny the first time you see it, but this is mainly due to how incredibly ridiculous the entire concept is. Ok, I admit that the show has pulled a few chuckles from me, but honestly, how many times can one watch an adult attempt to jump over a Styrofoam fish over a pool of oil? Shows like this really exemplify the words of H. L. Mencken, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." The fact that this show can keep thousands upon thousands of people entertained day in and day out speaks volumes about how truly starved for culture much of us are. If any of you really do like this show, please engage in some sort of pain inducing practice each time you are tempted to turn on the tv. I promise, it is for your own good.

No comments: