February 27, 2007

You have not reached the voicemail of whom you intended

When I got back up to school on Sunday night, I still had a huge amount of homework to do. In fact, I still had some homework to do that was supposed to be turned in last Friday. Because I am such a wonderful student, I sat down at my computer around 12:30am (on Monday) to begin the work.

All of the homework was for English class. I had four reading journal entries for Crime and Punishment to complete, as well as entire part of that book to begin. After a healthy mix of procrastination and work, I finally finished all the work at about 2:30am, and got ready for bed. I set my alarm for 8:15am (my first class is at 9:10am!), and closed my eyes. At 5:45am, my phone rang. I was so pissed off, that I didn't even bother to look at who it was calling me. I tried to press the silence button to no avail, so I just threw my phone on the ground--that did the trick!

After waking up to my alarm that morning and taking a shower, I decided to check on who had disturbed my oh-so-deep sleep. The number was marked unavailable, but the person had left a message. Please allow me to recreate, to the best of my ability, the entirety of the message. (*Note, the message was left in an exceedingly thick and annoying Southern accent.)

Hey Lori, its Jean. I hate to do it, shit, but I reckon I got to add one more day at least. Uh, my granddaughter's woke up sick this mornin' and I'm still not feelin' totally the way up to par. So, I guess I might better take at least one more day. I was s'posed to sign that time sheet with Cherie today but, would you let her know I'm not g'be able to be in. I don't know what I need to do or what have you, but I guess I might better try to go on and, uh, be out one more day. Hopefully she'll be better tomorrow. You have a good day, now.

Looks like somebody is going to be in some trouble with their boss today, ha ha! I swear that if their number had been left, I would have called Jean back to inform her of the mistake, but, alas! I guess there are two lessons you should take away from this. First, it is a bad move to wake me up before 7:00am under any circumstances. Ok, fine, if you are presently bleeding to death, then it is acceptable to call at 6:15am--but no earlier! Secondly, if you are going to call your boss to let him or her know that you will be absent from work, make sure you listen to the voice and message on the machine in which you plan on placing your trust. If you call a number, and get the following message:

Hi. This is Logan. I'm not here right now, but if you leave your name and number, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

You are most likely leaving me a message.

Up later today, the first "Daily Eddism". (I realize now that "Eddism" is actually a real philosophy. Therefore, the title of this series will henceforth be changed to, "Daily Dose of Ed".)

No comments: